Food and Drink

May delivery and takeaway sales remain 273% higher than in 2019

Whilst sales in April 2021 were 345% higher than in 2019, the continued rise in May provided further evidence that the takeaway and delivered market is likely to remain an important part of the business mix for group operators

Despite venues being open, delivery and takeaway sales in May 2021 were 273% higher than in 2019, according to the latest CGA Hospitality at Home tracker.

Whilst sales in April 2021 were 345% higher than in 2019, the continued rise in May provided further evidence that the takeaway and delivered market is likely to remain an important part of the business mix for group operators.

The tracker also showed that growth in delivery sales were “more than twice as high” as takeaways, thanks in large part to the rising popularity of third party delivery platforms.

Combined, delivery sales accounted for nearly half (49.7%) of restaurant and pub groups’ sales in May, with eat-in contributing the remainder (50.3%).

Karl Chessell, business unit director hospitality operators and food, EMEA, CGA, said: “While many consumers seized the chance to eat out again, hospitality’s reopening for inside service isn’t diminishing the appeal of deliveries and takeaways.”

“With the quality and convenience of at-home ordering rising, the lockdowns of the last 15 months have firmly embedded it in people’s habits.”

He added: “It will be fascinating to see where the balance of eating-out and ordering-in settles as Covid-19 restrictions loosen.”

Back to top button