Restaurants

Staff discharged from hospital following fire at Bull and Claw restaurant

Two staff members from the Bull and Claw restaurant in Donaghadee, Northern Ireland, have been discharged from hospital following a fire which broke out at the site yesterday night.

The fire had spread through the top quarter of the restaurant from its utility room, and the two staff members, referred to as Craig and Duncan, attempted to contain the blaze until the fire service arrived.

They were sent to hospital and later released after treatment for smoke inhalation.

Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) arrived at the scene at 10:00pm last night, and the fire was extinguished at 0.24am (5 December).

At the height of the incident there were five fire appliances from Donaghadee, Bangor,  Newtownards and Knock, as well as an aerial appliance.

In a post on its Facebook page, the Bull and Claw restaurant said: “Been a bad day at the office. Fire spread through the top quarter of our premises from our utility room. Craig and Duncan tried their best and contained the fire til the professionals arrived.

“Thanks to the fantastic fire brigade who managed to keep the damage to an absolute minimum.”

It continued: “Craig and Duncan have been released from hospital after treatment for smoke inhalation. We are so glad that they are ok and wish them a continued and speedy recovery.

“This is a developing situation and we will keep you posted as soon as we know. Thanks for all your support at this difficult time.”

Back to top button