Restaurants

Loughborough restaurant badly damaged as blaze erupts from kitchen

Loughborough-based Lebanese and Moroccan restaurant, Tarboush, has been badly damaged after a fire started in its kitchen yesterday (31 March).

The restaurant, which was open for delivery orders after government advice to close restaurants to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, was preparing orders as the blaze bagan at 4pm yesterday. 

Owner Jamal Ibrahim told Leicestershire Live: “We don’t know exactly how it started but my wife, who is the chef, was at the grill doing takeaway orders and there was suddenly a lot of smoke.

“She came running into my office and told me so I called 999 and we got out of the building with the other member of staff who was there. I haven’t been inside to have a look at the damage yet but I think it will be quite bad. But the fire brigade got here very quickly and had it under control soon after they got here.”

The blaze, which damaged the ceiling of the ground floor resulted in the fire crew cutting away the ceiling to check if the fire had spread onto the floor above.

Charnwood Police confirmed on social media that no one was hurt in the incident. The tweet read: “A contained fire was reported at a local takeaway premises. LFRS are making secure. Everyone on site are safe and well.

“Thanks to all who attended. And to those passing who still kept their distance and resisted gathering nearby.

Back to top button