Marks and Spencer has revealed plans to reopen 49 café locations across the UK today (14 May).
The local cafés will be opening for takeaway hot drinks only, and the chosen locations to open are all based on the café being located next to the in-store Foodhall – meaning customers can pick up a coffee whilst doing their food shop.
The re-opening follows a trial at five of the locations, including High Street Kensington Coffee to Go and Maybrook Canterbury.
The M&S café team has also prepared “rigorous guidance” for colleagues and will have “extensive signage” for customers so they can pick up their coffee safely. Measures in place include:
- Protective equipment – Perspex screens will be installed at each Café till
- Extensive hygiene processes – All colleagues will wash their hands every 30 minutes as a minimum, with additional washing immediately after taking cash payments. Surfaces will be sanitised regularly, with particular attention paid to pinpads, as is done in the rest of the Foodhall.
- Clear signage – Signs will remind customers about social distancing requirements and guide them on how to move safely through the hot drink-to-go journey. For example, floor markings will show customers where to stand if they need to queue in order to ensure they are 2 metres apart from the next customer.
- One colleague only – will work behind the counter to ensure social distancing. The colleague will take the payment and make the drink
- Contactless payment – will be encouraged just like in our Foodhalls through extensive signage.
- Contactless collection – Hot drinks with the accompanying lid will be placed in the hatch under the screen to allow the customer to pick it up and put on their own lid.
The 49 locations are listed below:
Boucher Rd Belfast
Brent Cross (Marketplace)
Bridge of Don
Canary Wharf (Marketplace)
Clapham (Coffee Bar)
Handforth Dean Conservatory
Hedge End (Coffee Bar)
High St. Kensington (Coffee Bar)*
Kingstown Park Carlisle
Manchester (Coffee Bar)
Marble Arch (Marketplace)
|Meole Brace Shrewsbury
One New Change (Marketplace)
Victoria Cardinal Place (Marketplace)*
Westbridge Park Stone