In an announcement made on Wednesday (16 December) the First Minister, Mark Drakeford said there are now more than 2,100 people with coronavirus symptoms in Welsh hospitals, adding that the action to impose a third lockdown in the country was “essential” to prevent strain on the NHS.
It is the latest in the series of events which sees Welsh hospitality businesses unable to resume normal trade. Earlier this month it was ruled that as of 4 December, pubs, bars and restaurants in the country had to shut at 6pm and not serve alcohol to guests.
At the time, it was confirmed that a £340m support package would be provided for affected businesses.
Speaking on the latest ruling the First Minister said: “This has been such a long and difficult year. We need to take this action to save lives and control the spread of this awful virus.
“A smaller Christmas is a safer Christmas and a shorter Christmas is a safer Christmas.The fewer people we mix with in our homes, the less chance we have of catching or spreading the virus.”
He added: “None of us wants to be ill this Christmas. And we don’t want to give coronavirus to our close family or friends.”