CoronavirusNewsPubs and Bars

Star Pubs and Bars offers licensees up to 90% rent concessions

Star Pubs and Bars has announced it is investing £5m in rent concessions this December, as its venues across the UK are still unable to operate fully due to Covid-19

The group’s support has been devised in line with the new tiered system, with Tier one licensees being offered a 30% rent concession, and Tier two licensees being offered a 75% reduction. 

Pubs operated by the company in Tier three will be granted a 90% rent concession leaving 10% payable if they close or if they operate as a takeaway only.

The move takes Star Pubs and Bars investment in rent reductions to £40m since March. Last month the company offered tenants a 100% deduction in rent  as all UK hospitality businesses were required to close. 

Lawson Mountstevens, managing director Star Pubs and Bars, said: “We are doing what we can to support our licensees through hugely challenging times, but the pub industry needs real meaningful Government support to counter the draconian unjustified restrictions being imposed on it. 

“The prime minister’s announcement of a derisory £1,000 compensation for wet-led pubs is, quite frankly, insulting to pubs across the UK. Pubs have invested millions in creating Covid secure environments and our industry has been thrown under a bus by this latest announcement.”

He added: “Failure to provide an adequate safety net will decimate many pubs and the communities they serve, as well as leaving lasting scars on those able to trade. 

“We have been unfairly singled out with punishing restrictions which ignore the evidence that show pubs are safe environments. We urgently call on the Government to show leadership and put in place an action plan to help rebuild the pub industry in 2021.”

Back to top button